With a background of working in education for over half a decade, I have spent the last few years preparing for a long-term dream to work in the game industry, studying Game Design as a degree at Brunel University.
Since graduating in the summer of 2019, I have worked as a QA technician at Feral Interactive – professionally I test commercial games, seeking for issues, offering specific feedback and suggesting design improvements.
As an independent designer I make unusual, thematic and narratively resonant games across a variety of engines and genres that offer ways of standing out to the player as a memorable experience. My dream industry role would be as a narrative or level designer. Creatively shaping the worlds, peoples and spaces of a video game is as good as it gets!
I am also a sociable and confident speaker with significant skills and experience in project management, customer service and administration.
Playtesting, iterative design and teamwork are core to my work as a designer
As a designer I focus my skills toward:
- Distinct and imaginative narrative/world design – detailed, systematically designed organic secondary worlds with internal thematic coherence and tonal specificity.
- Interesting and surprising gameplay experiences – go beyond the obvious mechanics, capture conceptual delight in the player within seconds, innovation must stay grounded, the player should feel a creative participant, theme isn’t fluff.
- Clear, focused project management & team work – agile methodologies, pipelines, milestones, iterative design, communication and collaboration are all the lifeblood of group projects.
Some examples of the design teams I’ve worked with throughout my degree.
- Design Documentation: Significant experience in both detailed and concise design documentation that is visually engaging, readable, coherent, layered and imaginative. Examples
- Game Criticism: Ability to write discursively and critically on the design philosophy and academic analysis of video games drawing on inter-disciplinary fields. Examples
- Production Management: Detailed project management of all projects (group/solo) via milestones, task/asset lists, logged in Google Sheets/Scrumwise.
- Game Development: Competent with a wide variety of game creation engines – Unity (C#), Clickteam Fusion 2.5, Twine 1, Twine 2, Inform, Bitsy, Dreams, Construct 2, Game Maker: Studio, Adventure Maker, & RPG Maker (various versions).
- Asset creation software: Photoshop, Illustrator, Aseprite, Piskel
- Editing Software: Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro
- Natural Presenter: Confident speaker having delivered countless pitches across the degree concisely demonstrating game elements, mechanics and appeal. All successfully received.
- Office software: Skilled in Microsoft Office, Google Sheets, Visio, and Dynamics NAV. Word processing at 90 wpm. Highly proficient and experienced in customer services, client liasing, business communication and project management/coordination.
A designer’s role is to be ever learning.
More broadly, I’m passionate (and will do my best to not excessively talk) about:
- Interactive Fiction
- Social Justice
- Design Philosophy
- Surrealism/Modernist Art
- Critical Theory
- Children’s Media