With a background of working in education for 3/4 of a decade, I have spent the last few years preparing for a long-term dream to work in the game industry, studying Game Design as a degree at Brunel University.
My preferred role would be as a junior designer, or in production, but I am also interested in acquiring experience in many other areas of the industry and any position would be a way of fulfilling that dream.
I make unusual, thematic games, with narratively resonant mechanics across a variety of engines and genres that stand out. I am also sociable and confident speaker with significant skills and experience in project management, customer service and administration.
As a designer I focus my skills toward:
- Distinct and imaginative narrative/world design – broad, systematically designed organic secondary worlds with internal thematic coherence and specificity.
- Interesting and surprising gameplay experiences – go beyond the obvious mechanics, capture conceptual delight in the player within seconds, innovation must stay grounded, the player should feel a creative participant, theme isn’t fluff.
- Clear, focused project management & team work – agile methodologies, pipelines, milestones, iterative design, communication and collaboration are the lifeblood of group projects.
Some examples of the design teams I’ve worked with throughout my degree.
- Design Documentation: Significant experience in both detailed and concise design documentation that is visually engaging, readable, coherent, layered and imaginative. Examples
- Production Management: Detailed tracking of all projects (group/solo) via task lists logged in Google Sheets/Scrumwise.
- Game Development: Competent with a wide variety of game creation engines – Unity (C#), Clickteam Fusion 2.5, Twine 1, Twine 2, Inform, Bitsy, Dreams, Construct 2, Game Maker: Studio, Adventure Maker, & RPG Maker (various versions).
- Asset creation software: Photoshop, Illustrator, Aseprite, Piskel
- Editing Software: Adobe Premiere Pro, Final Cut Pro
- Game Criticism: Ability to write discursively and critically on the design philosophy and academic analysis of video games drawing on inter-disciplinary fields. Examples
- Natural Presenter: Confident speaker having delivered countless pitches across the degree concisely demonstrating game elements, mechanics and appeal. All successfully received.
- Office software: Microsoft Office, Project, Visio, and Dynamics NAV. Word processing at 90 wpm. Proficient in customer services, client liasing, business communication and project management/coordination.
A designer’s role is to be ever learning.
More broadly, I’m passionate (and will do my best to not excessively talk) about:
- Interactive Fiction
- Social Justice
- Design Philosophy
- Surrealism/Modernist Art
- Critical Theory
- Children’s Media